|Posted by pridemuaythai2012 on March 9, 2014 at 1:50 PM||comments (0)|
We read a really good article yesterday regarding gym hopping and the importance of loyalty.
Loyalty in the Muay Thai community is what makes Muay Thai unique. And anyone that trains at our club knows the importance of what loyalty means to us. We are family. And we strive for that atmosphere at the gym. That is what "PRIDE" means. Especially to us.
Ever wonder why we called our gym "Pride"? I will tell you.
The word PRIDE and every letter of the word means something to us. When we decided to open our own gym, we thought alot about how we wanted to be perceived. We knew we didn't want our students or members to feel like a number. We wanted them to feel like they were a part of a group, a family, a PRIDE. I (Charleen), have an obsession with tigers and lions. I always have, since I was little girl. Having this love for the felines, I also knew that a group of lions were a family called a pride. This was the starting point. We also felt we were strong. Confident. Fighters. When we started looking up the definition of pride, it escalated to the acronym and what we strive for our club and what we believe.
Here is the definition of the word "pride" that we believe in.
1. a high or inordinate opinion of one's own dignity, importance, merit, or superiority, whether as cherished in the mind or as displayed in bearing, conduct, etc.
2. the state or feeling of being proud.
3. a becoming or dignified sense of what is due to oneself or one's position or character; self-respect; self-esteem.
4. pleasure or satisfaction taken in something done by or belonging to oneself or believed to reflect credit upon oneself: civic pride.
5. something that causes a person or persons to be proud: His art collection was the pride of the family.
6. the best of a group, class, society, etc.: This bull is the pride of the herd.
7. the most flourishing state or period: in the pride of adulthood.
14. pride and joy, someone or something cherished, valued, or enjoyed above all others
Like I said above, looking into why we wanted to name us "pride" escalated into the acronym you see and know. So here are the definitions of each the letters of the word PRIDE.
1. any powerful or compelling emotion or feeling, as love or hate.
6. a strong or extravagant fondness, enthusiasm, or desire for anything
7. the object of such a fondness or desire
8. an outburst of strong emotion or feeling
3. esteem for or a sense of the worth or excellence of a person, a personal quality or ability, or something considered as a manifestation of a personal quality or ability
4. deference to a right, privilege, privileged position, or someone or something considered to have certain rights or privileges; proper acceptance or courtesy; acknowledgment: respect for a suspect's right to counsel; to show respect for the flag; respect for the elderly.
5. the condition of being esteemed or honored: to be held in respect.
6. respects, a formal expression or gesture of greeting, esteem, or friendship
7. favor or partiality.
9. to hold in esteem or honor
10. to show regard or consideration for
1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty.
2. the state of being whole, entire, or undiminished: to preserve the integrity of the empire.
1. the act of dedicating or the state of being dedicated
3. complete and wholehearted devotion, esp to a career, ideal, etc
4. a ceremony in which something, such as a church, is dedicated
1. the state or quality of excelling or being exceptionally good; extreme merit; superiority
2. an action, characteristic, feature, etc, in which a person excels
Now that you know the definitions, you can clearly see why the loyalty of staying with your original gym is so important to us. That is what pride is about. That is who we are. I hope you enjoy the article as much as we do. And we hope you feel the same way. We take pride in us, who we are, who are club is and how we teach you. With out you, there is no us. And that is what family is about. So, thank you for being a part of us.
Here is the link to that article.